Skip to main content

Jesus Came to Seek and Save the Lost



“And it came to pass, that he was sitting at meat in his house, and many publicans and sinners sat down with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with the sinners and publicans, said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? And when Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Mark 2:15-17

“They're going to hell, and you’re glad they’re going there.” I have mentioned this comment made to me by a brother from a liberal congregation once before, but I have to tell you, it bothers me. It should bother you, too, because this is a common tactic used against New Testament Christians who still ask for the old paths (cf.Jer. 6:16-17). If you teach the exclusivity of the church, people assume that you absolutely hate the lost among the religions of the world and are elated at their demise. If this were the case, I could not be a faithful Christian!

The Gospel is For Sinners!

It is incompatible with following Christ to be against sinners! Why, because Christ is for sinners. He is not for sinners remaining sinners, but He is in the business of redeeming sinners from sin. Jesus could tell you that you were in sin and still show the most perfect example of care and love to redeem you from it. One such case is the familiar story of when Jesus told the tax collector Levi, whom Jesus saw sitting at a tax booth, and said: follow me. How can Jesus not be for sinners if He calls sinners to follow Him? I am certain that all of you who are in Christ came to be in Christ by first being sinners, otherwise, you would be sinlessly perfect and without sin. To be a tax collector, especially a Jewish (His name is Levi) was a detestable position. First, he served the Roman occupiers. Secondly, the collector was often corrupt and would seek to line his own pockets. Jesus said to such a one as this, follow me. When we teach about sin, the motivation must not be to make an enemy, but to make a Christian. Not to be an ally to sin, but to be a messenger of how one can overcome sin in Christ. 

The Sick Need a Doctor!

After Levi followed the Lord, they came to Levi’s house and they ate. As they gathered there, more sinners and tax collectors came in to eat with them. Who else does Levi know who would typically eat with him? Others sinners and tax collectors. Jesus ate with sinners and tax collectors. Why? Sinners need salvation. You cannot reach sinners if you do not talk to sinners. Once again, this does not mean that Jesus engaged in the sin of these individuals; it does not mean that He endorsed their behaviors, despite what some may try to read into the text. When The Pharisees and the Scribes saw this happening and accused Jesus to His disciples, asking, “how is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?” Jesus heard it and said something profoundly true: The righteous do not need a doctor, it is sick. Jesus noted that the sinners and tax collectors were sick. Can we note that sinners are sick? Yes! Can we do it and still love them? Yes! Jesus explained, “I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” He would also say, “For the Son of man came to seek and to save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10). 

The Gospel is For All!

We must not revile sinners so much that we forget each has an eternal soul and Christ died for them. Salvation is open to all. Yes, the Gospel is for all. I am glad that it is for all, otherwise, I would be just another lost sinner if it was only for the people that have had it all together all their lives. Christ is for sinners, but He is for them to change into saints. I hope that the saints will look at the fields; they are white. Let’s go and reap without compromising the message of hope that is in the Lord. 


Grace and Peace, 


R.D. Beavers


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can a Christian Celebrate a Secular Christmas?

         Can a Christian celebrate a secular Christmas? This is a good question and one that deserves an honest answer. This week I read the following, “If you don’t talk about Jesus at Christmas time, you miss Jesus. If you do not sing those scriptural songs focusing on Jesus, you miss Jesus. You might have grown up in a church where “Christmas” was a “Jesus-free” day.” These were some accusations leveled against some brethren by a well-known preacher in our brotherhood. In this article, I wish to set the record straight on how it is rather simple to celebrate a secular Christmas and it not be a “Jesus-free” day. I contend that no day is “Jesus free” for a New Testament Christian.            First, this brother accuses the church “of not knowing what to do with Christmas. They celebrate it in their homes, but avoid it at all costs in church.” I contend that the preachers who preach the whole counsel of God know what to do with Christmas. Preachers must correct false notions, including

A Year Ago Today

          We left Ceredo, WV (where I was preaching at the time) after services Wednesday night, July 27, 2022, on our way to Hot Springs, AR where we intended to spend our 15th year wedding anniversary. My wife is so special to me and she has blessed me with 5 beautiful children. This was going to be a special time for us. We have never really celebrated like this before, nor had we ever gone anywhere for an extended period of time without our children. I was driving through the night that we could drop the kids off with my in-laws (Tim and Robin Kidwell), and then on to enjoy some time with just my wife.           I was so excited as I was driving. Originally I had planned to leave that Thursday and drive us there, but I was too excited to wait. A few days before we decided that I would drive through the night. This was always nice as children slept I could catch up on listening to podcasts and books that I have great interest in. Everyone was sleeping except for me.            I had

Are You Uncomfortable With Sin?

                        Benjamin Franklin was quoted as saying, I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. — I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. To sum up this thought, if we want to get someone out of poverty, we need to make them uncomfortable with it. Think about it. If someone is in relative comfort, being taken care of by everyone else and not doing for themselves, then they will remain in poverty. If on the other hand, they have to rely more on themselves to get out of their situation, they may get the proper motivation to get out of their poverty. People are Comfortabl